Lincoln-Way Central 1962 alum honored with Sir Edmund Hillary Mountain Legacy MedalFriday, December 15, 2017
Lincoln-Way Central class of 1962 alum, Johan Reinhard, was selected to be this year’s Sir Edmund Hillary Mountain Legacy Medal winner. Reinhard is an Explorer-in-Residence at the National Geographic Society, and a world-acclaimed explorer and anthropologist who is being recognized for his life-long commitment to the welfare of mountain people.
According to the Nepali Times, Reinhard will receive the medal on Monday, December 11, 2017 in Pokhara, the largest city of Nepal, at the Mountain Festival.
Reinhard has been a life-long enthusiast dedicating his life to his work on the Incas in Peru, as well as Tibetan Buddhism in Nepal. He has written over 70 publications, six books, and completed a great deal of research featured in a number of television documentaries.
Reinhard’s other awards and acknowledgements include:
• The Rolex Award for Enterprise
• The Puma de Oro (Bolivia’s highest award in the field of archaeology)
• The Explorers Medal of the Explorer’s Club
• Outside Magazine’s Top 25 “Most Extraordinary Explorers”
• Ford Motor Company’s Top 12 “Heroes for the Planet”