Lincoln-Way Central Mathletes win Region 14 qualifier to advance to stateMonday, February 27, 2017
On Saturday, February 25, 2017, the Lincoln-Way Central Mathletes won the Region 14 qualifier in the 4AA competition for state. In ten areas of competition, the Knights captured three first place spots and two second place spots. The Central Mathletes will advance to the Illinois Council of Teachers Mathematics (ICTM) State Contest on May 6, 2017.
“This is an important victory for our team,” said head coach Lisa Parker. “They appreciate it so much after our loss at conference. I saw some tears of happiness today.”
Knights placing first were:
• The Geometry Team: Kalei Bass, Jonah Haskins, Ennis Lange, Behnam Shamsaddin, Brent Thomson, and Jack Yurkanin
• The Algebra 2 Team: Ben Bethke, Zachary Dundek, Nathan Lucchetti, Alex Manka, Emily Parker, and Kelly Tran
• The Calculator Team: Matthew Klock, Samantha Schletz, Sean Dennelly, Behnam Shamsaddin, and Ryan Curran.
Students receiving medals for individual high scores were:
• Freshman Chelsea Verheyen, who earned 2nd place in Algebra 1,
• Sophomore Jonah Haskins, who earned 2nd place in Geometry,
• Sophomore Kalei Bass, who earned 3rd place in Geometry,
• Sophomore Behnam Shamsaddin, who earned 4th in Geometry,
• Sophomore Jack Yurkanin, who earned 5th in Geometry
• Junior Zachary Dundek, who earned 2nd in Algebra 2,
• Junior Alex Manka, who earned 3rd in Algebra 2,
• Junior Emily Parker, who earned 3rd in Algebra 2, and
• Senior Matthew Klock, who earned 3rd in Pre-Calculus.
Senior Liana Chidichimo and Junior Emily Parker placed 7th in their oral on the topic of Logic and Logic Circuits.
“Congratulations on a well-earned victory, and thank you for all of your hard work,” said Mathlete President Liana Chidichimo as she addressed her team. “I am very proud of all of you who had individual placements today. That just shows how talented you really are. Let’s keep up the hard work for state.”